It sat for a little while, and then I got to work finishing it. Really, all I needed to do was the basket of flowers, the lines on the floor and wall, and a few other tiny details. The small bit I did do took me quite a bit of time; I needed to learn stitches and get them looking like they fit in with the rest of the work. You can see some wrinkles from the embroidery hoop that the fabric likely sat in for years, but I haven't figured out how to get rid of them out.
I love the cat on the afghan. I'd love an identical, full size one like that to curl up with. I mean, the blanket, not the cat... we have enough felines in our home for now.
I think the cats like the piece too. I hung it above the bookshelf in our dining room. Five dollars well spent!