July 25, 2013

Dreamcatcher: Crocheter's interpretation


I decided to make a dream catcher a month or so ago.  Well, it was actually a project I'd had in my mind for awhile, I just wasn't sure how to execute it.  I'd found many inspirations on Pinterest, ranging from traditional to interpretive with vintage doilies.  I decided to just go for it and picked up an embroidery hoop from the thrift store for a few dollars and some yarn (I threw away the package, so I need to go back to the store to find out the exact color).

First I wrapped the whole hoop in hemp.  It took forever because I wanted it tight so you couldn't see wood through gaps. 


Then I went to work on my center piece.  I've done very little crocheting in the round.  Like, a few hats and some tiny flowers.  I did it all by guess-work and figured that once it was stretched on the hoop it would be alright.  After a few rounds I wove in two layers of hemp and then crocheted three more.  This was the hardest part.  I think I took it apart a few times when the hemp was too loose or tight.

Then I stretched the whole thing with hemp as tightly as possible and bound it to the hoop.  



I made a whole bunch of stuff to hang from the bottom of my dreamcatcher.  I crocheted chains and made braids and tassels from hemp and yarn and strung them through the hemp on the hoop. I wanted to add feathers, but decided even though that's a traditional dreamcatcher feature, they might be overkill on my interpretation.



I added a chain on the top to hang the piece from and it was done!  This was one of my favorite projects in a while.  It was challenging because I had no idea what I was doing, but I practiced some new skills, took my time, and wound up with something that I love to have hanging on my wall!



2 comments:

  1. karen, this is SO beautiful!
    you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Karen it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete